No matter where you live, at this time there are more and more things that can catch our attention. We need to be communicated all the time and that is the reason why people get devices of latest technology: cell phones, iPods or GPS units; and if added the inevitable marketing that we see every day on streets, obviously that get to lose attention when we are behind the wheel. However avoiding and preventing certain driver distractions, we minimize road accidents that could be able to cost us life.
Follow these steps to avoid being distracted while driving:
- Any adjustments to the vehicle shouldn’t be made while driving: radio stations, compact disc player, air conditioning or mirrors. Try to change to pre-set options and only when you stop your vehicle.
- If you plan to drink, don’t drive. Many accidents occur only for imprudent drivers. Don’t put your life or other people in danger, be conscious.
- Place your cell phone within easy reach, but if you receive a call while driving, let your voice mail answer it for you. Don’t take your eyes off the road.
- Don’t read or send text messages while driving.
- Don’t attempt reading address book or look up phone numbers while driving. You could lose attention to the road or nearby vehicles.
- Turn off the road, if you need to read something or use a map.
- Avoid changing your clothes while driving.
- Under no circumstances groom while driving.
- Avoid eating or drinking while driving, these could be extremely dangerous.
- Don’t use headphones and listen to music with a reasonable volume. The case could be that an emergency vehicle is near.
- Don’t smoke, avoid lighting up and don’t fall ashes while driving.
- If your passengers are children, talk with them about some basic recommendations before you start driving.