The driver’s responsibility is the passenger’s safety to make sure that they are safe. Generally, drivers forget to take basic precautions at the time they are driving, is important take conscience and to have some advice in consideration that would be able to save our life in a future unexpected accident. Car passenger safety will be the best way to prevent unfortunate accidents.
In some cases, the use of the seatbelt could save your life, but it is only responsible for passengers. Nowadays we can see videos showing the impact during an unfortunate accident.
In the US, about 70% of young children injured on roads each year are passengers. Fall from a fourth-floor window onto concrete is equivalent that the impact suffered by an unrestrained child in a car crash at 60km/h. But many of these deaths can be prevented, especially in our precious passengers, the children.
School bus passenger safety has a no ordinary protection system called compartmentalization, absorbing energy during a crash due to their closely spaced seats stronger well padded. The system gives security to kindergarten students and high school seniors without seat belts.
IMPORTANT: Under no circumstances, children must never be left alone in a car, even for short periods. They exposed to:
- Burns from hot seatbelt buckles and vinyl fittings.
- Heat stress and dehydration.
- Playing with car controls – such as hand brakes, gear levers, cigarette lighters, power windows, and the ignition.
- Car thieves.
What says the law?
To look after the safety of the passenger, as a driver, is an important moral and legal responsibility, matter of fact, in most countries drivers are responsible for the safety of passengers that are 16 years of age or younger.
Always fill the back seat with the smaller children, in case you are traveling with more than one, as the back seat is the safest for children, do not sit children in the front seat unless you have no option and you have the correct restraint for the size and weight of the children that are taking that seat.
Children are a big responsibility when they travel in a vehicle, do never leave them alone in a car, no matter for how long, as they may get burned from the seatbelt buckles, be victims of car thieves, they may play with the car controls or cigarette lighters, suffer from heat stress even if they are left alone for a few minutes. Remember that the law forbids any person to leave a child unattended in a vehicle.
Most children do not listen to grownup people about rules, such as buckling up, in order to avoid such situations it is better to educate children at home about the importance of respecting these rules and to have family rules about driving safety.
Some typical phrases that children get are:
- “Once everybody is buckled up, we will go”
- “I’m sorry but if somebody unbuckles the car stops”
- “I will help you buckle/unbuckle your seatbelt”
Some general safety tips for passenger include:
- Not to leave loose cargo at the back of the car (station wagons and similar) as they may fly all the way to the front seat in case of collision.
- Reward good behavior from children.
- Make yourself comfortable and leave room in front of your knees.
- Make sure the headrest is well-placed.
- Check the seatbelt is tight and well-placed.